Marangu Route is the most popular route up Mount Kilimanjaro and the easiest and most comfortable route to reach the summit of Kilimanjaro. The route is well developed and the climb is constant and moderate. Only the approach to the summit is the exception this being slightly more demanding. The accommodation on this tour is in simple mountain huts, which is an advantage as the nights can be very cold.
Climate: Montane forest
Distance: about 8kms
Time taken: about 3-4hrs
You will be picked up from your hotel and head to Marangu Gate (1860m) at Kilimanjaro national park. You need to complete the necessary paperwork to start your trek. After all the formalities you can start trekking through the dense rainforest. The beautiful vegetation is home to black and white colobus monkeys. It takes 4 hrs to reach your destination of the day – Mandara Hut. After taking a rest for some time your guide can take you to Maundi Crater. It is a wonderful place to get a view of the Kenyan interior. You can enjoy dinner and overnight stay at Mandara Hut (2650m). We will take care of your meals.
Distance: about 11kms
Time taken: barely 7hrs
After breakfast, you will leave Mandara hut and at a short distance, you will reach the timberline and then enter heath and moor zone. After a drive of approximately 4-6 hours, you can see Horombo hut at an altitude of 3700m. Once you reach there you will get a beautiful view of Mawenzi, Kibo, and the extensive plain of the Masai Steppe. You can enjoy your overnight stay at Horombo hut where we will serve you breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Climate: Alpine desert
Distance: about 8kms
Time taken: about 4hrs
In the morning after breakfast at Horombo huts, kip on ascending to Kibo hut across the Alpine desert climate, together with a guide, Chef, and Porters. They day treakbeging through the heathland and quickly turn into moonscape when you enter the saddle between Kibo and Mawenzi. Stopover in the mid of the journey for lunch, whereby you will start to see the summit and prepare your body to face
Distance: about 6kms ascending and 8kms descending
Time taken: about 5hrs ascending and 9hrs descending
Start early between midnight and 2 a.m. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. We continue our way to the summit in a switchback formation by trying to stay warm and focused on the amazing sense of accomplishment that lies ahead. With a switchback motion, we ascend through heavy scree and possibly snow towards Gillman’s Point on the crater rim. Faster hikers may view the sunrise from the summit. From here on your remaining 1 hour ascent to Uhuru Peak, you are likely to encounter snow all the way. Congratulations, you have made it! After photos, celebrations, and maybe a few tears of joy we take a few moments to enjoy this incredible accomplishment. We begin our steep descent down to Mweka Camp, stopping at Barafu for lunch and a very brief rest. We strongly recommend gaiters and trekking poles for uncooperative loose gravel and volcano ash terrain. Overnight Mweka Camp.
Climate: Moorland to Montane forest
Distance: About 18kms
Time taken: about 7hrs
After breakfast and a heartfelt ceremony of appreciation and team bonding with your crew, it’s time to say goodbye. We continue the descent down stopping at the Mandara Huts for lunch. Remember to tip your guides, cooks, and porters, since you will be leaving them here. You return back to the Marangu Park Gate and receive your summit certificates. As the weather is drastically warmer, the terrain is wet, muddy, and steep and we highly recommend Gaiters and trekking poles. From the gate, a vehicle will meet you to drive you back to your hotel in Arusha. Enjoy a long overdue hot shower, dinner, and celebrations! End of Service
- Transport to & from the mountain ex Nairobi (Shuttle Bus)
- Accommodation at Arusha Center Inn Hotel BB
- Porters, Guide & Cooks Fee
- Three meals a day whilst on the mountain
- All hut & camping fees
- All park entry fees
- Certificate of achievement
- Tipping to the guide – 15usd per day porters – USD $ 7 per day, cooks –USD $1 0 per day
- Personal climbing gear – clothing’s & rucksack
- Personal travel insurance
- Beverages & mineral water
- Items of personal nature.
- Visa – USD $ 50 – 100 depending on nationality.
- A Rack sack For Your Equipments – To Be Carried By Porters
- Sleeping Bag [Mountain Type],
- Hiking, or Climbing Boots, Camp Shoes, Trainers Not Sandals
- Socks. 2 Thin Polypro Type For Quick Drying, 4 Thick Wind Pants, Wind shirts
- High Gaiters, Warm Pants [Fleece], Jacket Or Pullover, 1 Rain Parka
- 2 Underwears,1 Hiking Shirt, Long Sleeve, 1 Bandanna
- 1 Warm Hat, 1 Hiking Shorts, Pants, Balaclava, Fleece Neck Warmer
- Headlamp, Bulb, Batteries, First Aid Kit, Pocketknife, Sunglasses, Snow
- Goggles, Water Purification Tablets
- Toiletry Item, Plus Sunblock, Lipsalve, And Moisturizer
- Walking Stick